There's a lot in the Birchwood name. Established in 1926 by the Bursch family, the cafe was originally a dairy. In the 1940's, Cy and Del Bursch converted the dairy into a neighborhood grocery, which quickly became an essential part of neighborhood life. Food staples, penny candy and neighborhood news established the Birchwood as a favorite meeting place and after-school hangout.
In 1995, Cy and Del handed the Birchwood Store over to us and once again the Birchwood was reborn, this time as the Birchwood Cafe. Keeping the traditions of freshness and community alive, we made the Birchwood a friendly place to find good food and good people. Seventeen years (and counting!) later, the Birchwood is not just for neighbors anymore. Now a popular destination, people drive from miles around to feel right at home.